Friday 13 January 2012

The dinner that almost never happened

Yesterday was one of those days where I was running around on all cylinders.  My plans were changing from minute to minute and at one point, we were going out to dinner so that stress fell away and I focused on all the other small stuff.  All that small stuff that you are not supposed to be sweating, like dust bunnies under the bed and the spiders coming out of hiding.  In the end, I ended up back home with the boys 40 minutes before our regularly schedule dinner and I rolled up my sleeves!  I made beef-barley soup with some help from some premade broth, but I made it my own by adding veggies and making some fresh barley.  The boys and hubby love barley!  That makes me so happy!  I grew up on the stuff and never thought that it would appeal to hubby since he is actually the pickiest eater in the family. 

In the end, that little bit of effort was worth it.  I paired the soup with some fresh rye bread with butter and marble cheese.  Everyone was happy, especially my waistline and bank account!

No comments:

Post a Comment